Friday, August 22, 2014

Checking options

Checking options
First week of July – The public forum suggested to look for an OB who will be willing to help you with your natural birth.  I went to see Dr. Michelle Severino of Medical City as suggested by Velvet.  She was objective enough to inform me about the risks. Hearing the risks and what-might-happens can really be scary and can easily turn you down.  But when I asked her if the risks she mentioned happened to her already, she said “luckily, not yet. But I’ve seen one case”  So I’m ok with that. I appreciate her telling me the risks but if it’s still not my case, I’m not interested to find out yet.  What I liked about her was she asked me the preparations I needed to make as of now. I’m 22 weeks when I went to see her.  And here are her suggestions:
-          As much as possible, don’t make your baby too big. A 6lb baby is okay but if you can deliver a smaller baby, it will be better.  The bigger the baby, the bigger your tummy will get and the risk of thinning CS scar will be more prominent
-          Exercise
-          Attend birth classes
-          Don’t take anmum as it can only make your baby big.  Just stick to your vitamins
-          Do an ultrasound to check if the CS scar is thick enough as a starting base
Right after the first meeting, I went straight to the Women’s health department of Medical City to do my ultrasound.  My CS scar was thick enough and qualified for VBAC. Praise God. But they found out that I have both posterior and anterior placenta.  At first, the theory of twins came up. A group of sonologists surrounded me in the room and kept on moving around the ultrasound stick on my abdomen to further see my placenta.  They even had it in 3D and saved it for later discussion.  The following Monday, I met up with Dra. Severino for the results and she explained that I may have placenta acreta.  Although it’s not really an issue for now as the placenta may still move to a better position as the baby grows bigger.  After the consultation, I talked to my doula and she recommended me acupuncture to improve placenta position and prepare my tummy for VBAC. She also suggests for me to schedule a monthly prenatal massage with Nanay Rich to prepare my body as well. A separate post on that J


No comments:

Post a Comment