Friday, August 22, 2014

First Public Forum on Gentle birth

June 28, 2014
                So my birth doula, Velvet, advised me to join online groups who can support me and give me more information about natural birth.  I joined Gentle Birth in the Philippines in FB page.  They’re a group of people, mostly moms who have undergone natural births,  midwives, birth doulas and advocates.  I wanted to gather as much information as I can.  I was late because I had an event that day but luckily, I was able to get the information I needed from the talks I heard.  It was such an eye opener for me.  Here are my thoughts:

1.      1.  when Betty San Luis, a birth doula, mentioned in her talk that most doctors will say that they agree to do VBAC but do a research if the doctor actually has VBAC experiences and totally supports your decision.  Ask nurses around the hospital you plan to give birth, check the birthing rooms, interview your doctor and tell her/him about your plans.
2.       2.  A mother should have the right to give birth however she wants it.  Your doctor should respect what you want and help you how you want to give birth
3.      3.   You don’t have to say YES all the time.  This is I think the most common mistake moms do especially first time moms.  We are so trusting of our healthcare providers that we do not initiate to gather knowledge about giving birth, where you will be comfortable with, envision what you want for you and your baby.  Do NOT entrust your whole birth experience to your doctor.  Make sure it’s what you want.  If you don’t have an idea of what you want, research and read more about giving birth. If we can read gossip articles, magazines and novels, I’m sure we can spend time reading birthing books J
4.       4.  I was opened to a lot of natural birthing options and it’s a very big encouragement for me

5.      5.   Encircle yourself with a very strong support system. 

I   I'm looking forward to more talks like this...sooo encouraging :)

No comments:

Post a Comment